31 October 2007

Meaning

Yesterday I shook hands with greatness. I attended the UEA conference with a couple of my friends from school with no expectations really, except to maybe get some free stuff and maybe get some good ideas for teaching in my classroom next year. Well, I ended up walking out of there feeling completely inspired. Unbeknownst to me, the keynote speaker at the conference was Erin Gruwell, the real life teacher who was portrayed by Hilary Swank in the film "Freedom Writers." I have never actually seen that movie. In fact, I never really had any desire to see it. It seemed formulaic, predictable, and a little too heart felt.

I think I might have been wrong. It was amazing to hear Erin tell her story. She began her teaching career working with the 150 "lowest" students in the entire school district. Her students grew up in a "war zone" practically next door to places like Beverly Hills and Disneyland, and really believed that they had no futures. Through literature and writing, Erin completely changed their lives. She helped them draw connections between their own lives and the lives of people like Anne Frank and Eli Weisel, people who had also experienced horrors in the places where they grew up. Rather than choosing violence, the authors of these books chose to tell their stories. Similarly, Erin's students began writing their stories. Erin encouraged them to make the choice to break free from the paths their lives were heading down. She gave them hope because she believed in them and knew the best way to reach them was to build on what they knew.

I wish I could really explain how incredible it was to hear Erin's story. As I was listening to her speak, I couldn't help but think how fortunate her students were to have her come into their lives. It reminded me about what teaching is all about. Once you become a part of the educational system it's kind of hard to forget about the powerful role you can play in someone's life. Things like NCLB trick teachers into believing scores are a true measurement of their professional worth. But I don't want to become a teacher who only cares about exams. I want to become a teacher like Erin, who gives students hope for the future and shows them that they have the power to do great things with their lives.

After she spoke, I had the opportunity to shake hands with Erin and meet Maria Reyes, one of her former students. It was funny to hear them tell us how excited they were for us to become teachers. I really hope they understand how inspirational their stories are. Hearing these women talk was exactly what I needed at a time when I was becoming incredibly tired of school and wondering if it really was worth all the work. Erin said that she was "an ordinary person who had experienced extraordinary things." I disagree. Compared to many of the educators I've met in my life, she is way beyond ordinary.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow. I will have to see that movie now. Also, I am excited for you to become a teacher, you will be an amazing one. And just think, whenever you start to feel burned out, you can just return to this blog and remind yourself what you're doing.

Mel said...

You know, Linds, I thought you would give me a hard time for that one just because it is 100% un-edgy. You should see the movie! Maybe we should watch it together when you come in a couple of weeks!

Andy said...

From my experience in working in public education, having quality teachers that care about the impact they have on the lives of their students are unfortunately hard to come by. It makes me very happy to see people like you pursue a career in education.

You can teach me anytime :)

p.s. Lindsay just informed me that the last line sounded more perverted than funny. I apologize if that is the case.

MommaMcCarthy said...

woahhhh, you mean... you WENT to UEA?! those blessed 3 letters that mean 2 days of no school for free :)
that's a really cool story. i think it's kinda hard to do that kind of thing with math... BUT did you ever see that one movie where the dude in LA teaches AP calc to all those kids and they did so well the AP people thought they cheated? so they all had to REtake the test and they all did well the second time too? rockin'

Mel said...

No, I haven't seen it, but I had a professor one time who ALWAYS talked about it. Stand and Deliver, right? Maybe one day...