22 April 2008

Things That Bug Me

Maybe it's because I'm really grumpy today but I am highly annoyed by the lack of library etiquette on college campuses today. I first noticed this problem while I was getting my undergraduate degree in Washington. I would go to the library to do some intense reading, since I was too easily distracted by the people and technology around me at home, and I frequently found my studies disturbed by people answering their cell phones and having conversations...IN THE LIBRARY! The same thing happened today while I was in the computer lab in the library attempting to work on my e-portfolio. I was highly aggravated anyway because it took about 20 minutes for the computer to let me onto the program I needed. But in the midst of my frustration, a young man decided to answer his phone and have an 8 minute talk with whoever. Like, did he not notice the people working around him? Was he oblivious to the signs that say: If your phone goes off in the computer lab you'll be asked to leave? Clearly it didn't matter anyway because nobody in the lab did anything. I wanted to give him a dirty look but was afraid that would reinforce this behavior. I don't go to the library to socialize. I go to focus and do work. I wish other people felt the same way.

The other thing I'm annoyed about also concerns cell phones. I am sick of text messaging. I mean, yeah, there are certain situations where texting probably makes more sense than calling someone. But when people try to have entire conversations with me through text messages, it bugs me. Oftentimes, there is no immediate feedback and I'm left to wonder if the person received my message or if I unintentionally said something offensive or if they're showing my messages to friends. If someone has more than two things to say to me, I would really just prefer or a phone call or a visit.

5 comments:

Andy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy said...

I think I will avoid you until you're done with school...

Mel said...

If you were really my friend you wouldn't avoid me. You would bring me cupcakes to ease my stress. Jerk.

Andy said...

Well, unless you want mucus cupcakes I would wait until I was done being sick.

Geez, picking on a sick person, who's the real jerk now?

Andy said...

Actually Mel, I think you have been avoiding me. You haven't posted any comments on my commentary about the Seahawk's draft choices for this weekend. Am I to believe that you don't care about the Seahawks? I certainly hope that is not the case.

I'm excited for you to be done with school so we can be friends again :). Just joking, but I am excited for you to be done... too much stress.