30 December 2008

Ugh

I hate New Year's Eve. It is by far my least favorite holiday of all the holidays. If I could pick (which I guess I really can), I would spend all day tomorrow in my pajamas, under my covers, until the day had passed. You might be asking yourself, "Why, oh why, does Melissa loathe New Year's Eve so very much?" The reason is that it is consistently a let down for me. In fact, some of my worst days happened on New Year's Eve. But I don't need to go into detail about any of that trauma, except to say that 12/31/06 is a day that will live in infamy in my heart. It was so bad that I spent the entire day of 1/1/07 in bed crying. I should have known then that 2007 would be one of the most hellacious experiences of my life....

Well, since there's no avoiding it, I guess there is only one thing to do, besides hiding under the bed. I'm just going to live in denial. Pretend like it isn't even New Year's. In fact, I don't think I'll even shower tomorrow. And I will NOT drink champagne. Nobody better hand me a noise maker because I will crush it with my bare hands.

Happy freaking New Year's.

5 comments:

Ash said...

New years is one of my least favorite holidays too! It always turns out to be SO LAME! I'm with you, I'd rather stay in my p.j.'s and do nothing!

MommaMcCarthy said...

hahaha. i so agree, but i think we've discussed this before. always a complete let-down. i think, though, that since i've learned about how not-exciting it always is, hopefully this year will be better. low expectations=good outcomes :D

that doesn't mean i'm not planning to wear a feather boa anyway...

Mel said...

Hahaha. Do it. Although, I don't think New Year's Eve is the only appropriate occasion for a feather boa. For example, why not sport the boa on tax day? And one day maybe we should just have a New Year's pajama party and watch movies. Feather boa would, of course, be invited.

taylor and laney said...

What about the New Year's 2005, spent with Marguerite, when I got a year long membership to a bar that I never used again. Dueling pianos was fun. I'm sad that one of my favorite memories with you is not even in the recall of your memory. Sigh.

Mel said...

No, you're right! That was such a fun New Year's! How could I have forgotten? Taylor, YOU are clearly the missing ingredient. Or maybe it's Marguerite.